Monday, June 13, 2011

About The Blog!

So I wanted to give a little background story about my blog. First of all if you are looking for proper grammar and/or spelling you are in the wrong place!
It all started when some friends of mine wanted to get together for game night. We decided on a menu and when I told my friend Dunja what I was making she asked me for the recipe so she could put it on her food blog (http://moderndaycook.com/about/). This started my obsession with food blogs! She has an awesome one complete with great pictures taken with a professional camera made specifically to photograph food! I on the other hand have a simple Sony camera so don't laugh at my amateur pictures!!

When I got married the only thing I knew how to make was hamburger helper! I have an Emeril Lagasse love for food. So you see how this could potentially be a problem? I started watching "Food T.V." and salivated every time Emeril came on. So I immediately went out and bought my first cookbook!

I wanted to learn how to cook and thought "How hard can it be if I just follow a recipe??". Little did I know!!! So fast forward a week and I quickly realized a beginner should not try to cook Emeril! So....back to the bookstore I went. This time I came home with something a little more "beginner-ish". Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Get Real Meals. The first meal I made from that book was Braciole! And I must say it was pretty darn tasty!!! My husband enjoyed it even if it took me an hour and a half to make!!! This was the birth of my food snobbyness. My hubby is my guinea pig. He let's me know if I should make any changes. I love feeding him because he loves to eat. It brings me great joy to see the look on his face when I make something that knocks his socks off! Cooking for me is also therapeutic. I love to grab a glass of wine and spend 30 minutes in the kitchen chopping and stirring. Making my family yummy things to eat. I also want my daughters to grow up with an appreciation for food. My 4 year old will eat just about anything I make and she loves to help me in the kitchen. I show her how to make delicious and healthy things to eat. So when she wants a snack she will grab some hummus and veggies instead of candy!

My family is from the South so growing up everything we ate was either fried, sauteed in a gallon of butter, or "casseroled"! I like butter like the next Southern girl but unless I wanted to die of a heart attack at the age of 30 I needed to learn how to cook things I love in a more heart healthy way. My Dad is also an amazing cook. We are from a small town so until I opened him up to new things he stuck to Southern staples. He said to me one day "What is this sushi crap you and your brother love so much?" HAHA! So if I want to know how to make swamp cabbage (hearts of Sabal Palms) or cheese grits I go to him, if I want to know how to make giblet gravy I go to my great-grandmother! Everything else...www.foodtv.com!

Oh and just so you know that Emeril cookbook has about 2 inches of dust on it because to this day I'm still afraid to open it......

After the birth of my daughter in 2006 I went for my first Mommy's night out with a couple close friends. One of those friends ordered a glass of wine (Pinot Noir). I took a sip of it because I had never had wine before. After that I became a self proclaimed wino wine connoisseur. I L.O.V.E wine!!! All kinds!!

So anyway....the blog! I am constantly printing out recipes off of www.foodtv.com. All of my faves I started to save in a folder. I take the recipe and add/subtract things to make it my own. So all the printed out recipes I have are all cut up, taped back together, and written on. So my best friend Cynthia bought me a recipe organizer. I love it but I also created this blog to kind of categorize my recipes. I also want to show off what I make so my friends/family can steal the recipes. So feel free to steal away and make them your own or just enjoy what I have created!

No comments:

Post a Comment